Fort San Andres
Fort San Andres is the last surviving fortification from the period of the Spanish occupation of Trinidad, which came to an end in 1797 with the capture of the island by the British. As early as 1733, a fortification called Fort San Andres was planned to replace a redoubt of fascines and earth, which was the only defense to Port of Spain. This was not completed until 1787. The redoubt was located where RBTT now stands on Independence Square. The new fort, mounting five cannons, was constructed as a mole linked to the mainland by a wooden bridge.
In 1845, the Port of Spain Town council approved the filling of the Port of Spain waterfront to the Northern side of Fort San Andres. Late in the nineteenth century the shoreline was filled again to its present line, completely land-locking the fort.
Fort San Andrew fell into disuse and later a structure was built on the old fort to house the Harbour Master and various other government offices, including the Police Service Traffic Branch. In 1995, the building was restored and converted to a Museum of the City of Port of Spain. Several of the original cannons survived and the foundations bear the date 1785.
Other Known Name: City of Port of Spain Museum
Address: South Quay
Town/City: Port of Spain
Region: Port of Spain
Site Type: Cultural Heritage
Public Accessibility: Full Access
Cultural Community: Spanish, British
Site Features: Forts, Batteries & Cannons; Museums & Archives
South Quay, Port of Spain