The building at number 6 Sackville street is commonly referred to as “The Cabildo Building” and is indicated on an 1837 map of the city of Port of Spain as the “Cabildo Registros Office and Town Hall”. Tradition has it that this building housed sittings of the Illustrious Cabildo which was a municipal institution established under Spanish rule in 1768. The Cabildo appointed chief judges on the island, supervised markets, scavenged and repaired streets, controlled the police, the Royal Gaol (Jail), the admission of physicians and surgeons, and levied duties and taxes on businesses within Port of Spain.
The building was designed with many Spanish architectural elements such as; an interior courtyard surrounded by an arcaded verandah, featuring a central fountain.
Property of interest located on a parcel of land situated in the City of Port of Spain, bounded on the north and east by Nos. 23-27, St. Vincent Street (“Cabildo Chambers”), on the south by Sackville Street and on the west by the TTPS Police Administration Building, corner Edward and Sackville Streets.
Other Known Name: Cabildo Law Museum
Address: 6 Sackville Street
Town/City: Port of Spain
Region: Port of Spain
Site Type: Cultural Heritage
Public Accessibility: Limited Access
Grade: Grade 2 – Property in which material change may be permitted, provided that similarity is maintained in all respects as it origined composition, shape and form.
Cultural Community: Spanish
Site Features: Public Buildings
6 Sackville Street, Port of Spain