The Piccadilly house is the home of Gabrielle Figari and her brother Junior Figari built in 1920 by their parents Henry and Enid Figari. This house was one of two family homes which allowed the family of seven children, three boys and four girls, to attend urban schools and be nurtured by their mother whilst their father dealt with his cocoa and coffee business at their property in Moruga. The 58 Piccadilly Street residence is located at the Eastern side of Port of Spain at the base of Laventille Hill and runs along the East Dry River/St. Ann’s River, to the Eastern end of Independence Square and Tamarind Square. The house’s overall architectural expression borrows from various external precedents and reflects an understanding of local conditions both environmental and cultural. Ornamentation such as elaborate fretwork, for example, acknowledges stylistic trends of the time, while providing the functional benefits of air circulation in an equatorial climate. In many ways, the diminutive Piccadilly House is mimetic of the grander urban mansions including the Boissiere House, its precursor. Also evident is the influence of Scottish architect, George Brown seen in the decorative fretwork, steep pitched gables and dormers adorned with finials, and the ornate covered walkway, all of which borrow from similarly influenced local houses from this period. Property of interest located in the City of Port of Spain comprising 2,257 square feet, bounded on the north by No. 56, Piccadilly Street, on the south by No. 60, Piccadilly Street, on the east by Piccadilly Lane, and on the west by Piccadilly Street.
Address: 58 Picadilly Street
Town/City: Port of Spain
Region: Port of Spain
Site Type: Cultural Heritage
Public Accessibility: Limited Access
Grade: Grade 2 – Property in which material change may be permitted, provided that similarity is maintained in all respects as it origined composition, shape and form.
Site Features: Residences & Great Houses
58 Picadilly Street, Port of Spain