Wesleyan Church (Tranquility Methodist Church)
While the Methodist presence was established in the Caribbean during the year 1786, it was not until October 1809 that Methodism reach Port of Spain. The Tranquillity Society is part of the Port of Spain circuit of the Methodist Church of Trinidad. The early members of the society were not satisfied with being in premises that were rented and set themselves the task of acquiring their own. Through their industry, in about 1870 they achieved their ambition when they acquired lands at the corner of Tragarete Road and Victoria Avenue on which the Sanctuary, car park (site of the demolished Mission House) and church hall now stand.
The newly acquired site remained vacant for several years. In 1886 the foundation stone was laid for a new church by the Governor, Sir William Robinson and the building was dedicated on 25 April of that year. It was affectionately known as the Galvanized-iron Church. The galvanized building was demolished in late 1905 and construction of the new one commenced. The cornerstone of this building was laid in January 1906, by the Honourable R.G Bushe, Auditor General of the Colony and acting Chief Commissioner of Port of Spain. The Galvanized-iron Church became the community church.
In 1954 an earthquake did extensive damage to the foundations and floor of the church building and in 1984 fire gutted the interior, destroying the organ, choir stall and vestry, and caused extensive damage to the roof. Repairs and restoration work commenced in 1987 and were completed in 1988.
Other Known Name: Wesleyan Church
Address: Corner Victoria Avenue and Tragarete Road, Port of Spain.
Town/City: Port of Spain
Region: Port of Spain
Site Type: Cultural Heritage
Public Accessibility: Limited Access
Cultural Community: British
Site Features: Places of Worship
Corner Stanmore Road and Tragarete Road, Port of Spain