St. John’s (London) Baptist Church

 In

This site is on the Heritage Asset Inventory which is the official list of Trinidad and Tobago’s historic sites that are worthy of notation and preservation. The register is authorized by the National Trust of Trinidad and Tobago’s Council and is by no means exhaustive. The sites on the Heritage Asset Register are not owned by the National Trust of Trinidad and Tobago. The Trust welcomes any historical information and oral histories the public wishes to share with us concerning this site via the feedback form.

Property of interest located on a parcel of land situated in the City of Port of Spain, bounded on the north by the Judiciary Administration Building, corner of Pembroke and Duke Streets, on the south and east by City Hall 2-4, Knox Street and on the west by Pembroke Street.4

 

Originally built in 1854, St. John’s (London) Baptist Church was constructed on 6 – 8 Pembroke Street, Port of Spain for the purpose of providing sufficient worship space to the growing Baptist population attending service in its original headquarters – the Church Hall & Office, which still stands today. By the 1880s, St. John’s faced similar issues which made its space inadequate for continued worship. In 1882, the church was enlarged and adorned with interior details that still retain their integrity and significance to this day. Today, St. John’s (London) Baptist Church continues its original function as a religious facility and programs geared towards youth and community outreach.

St. John’s (London) Baptist Church is nominated for its local significance as a representation of 19th century religious architecture in Port of Spain. Built in 1854, the church was enlarged into a limestone modified-Gothic Revival church with ballast bricks quoins and trims, featuring pointed arched windows and entrances, buttresses and pinnacles. These architectural features reflect the character of religious architecture that dominated church construction in Trinidad in the 19th century. The church is also nominated for its national significance as the primary surviving Baptist church associated with the development of the Baptist faith in Port of Spain, and thus Trinidad; and for its national significance for its association with Mr. L. O. Inniss, a prominent pharmacist, businessman and historian in Port of Spain.

Address: 6-8 Pembroke Street

Town/City: Port of Spain

Region: Port of Spain

Site Type: Cultural Heritage

Ownership: Private

Public Accessibility: Limited Access

Grade: Grade 1 – Property in which there should be no change, nor alteration to its shape or form, nor in or upon any material object, plant or other thing that may deform or deface the property;

Cultural Community: British

Site Features: Places of Worship

Address:

6-8 Pembroke Street, Port of Spain