Old Public Library
This perfectly proportioned and symmetrical building was built in following the Classical Revival style. The main entrance is identified by a triangular pediment with the inscription “1901 Public Library” and the ground floor entrance is protected by a protruding balcony. The front elevation is further enhanced by bringing forward, on both floors, the arch and columns that identify the entrance.
This imposing edifice is a custom-built library of historical significance, it was constructed in 1901 at the corner of Pembroke and Knox streets on the site of the house of Trinidad’s first British Governor, Sir Thomas Picton. It was opened to the public in April 1902.
Property of interest located on a parcel of land situated in the City of Port of Spain, bounded on the north and east by the Port of Spain City Hall, on the south by Knox Street and on the west by Pembroke Street.
Other Known Name: Trinidad Public Library Building
Address: Corner Knox and Pembroke Streets
Town/City: Port of Spain
Region: Port of Spain
Site Type: Cultural Heritage
Public Accessibility: Limited Access
Grade: Grade 3 – Property in which there may be allowed (a) Alterations to international non-structural components and roof cladding material; or (b) specified alterations to internal structure.
Cultural Community: British
Site Features: Public Buildings
Corner Knox and Pembroke Streets, Port of Spain