Property of interest occupying 1,721 square feet and bounded on the north, south, east and west by State Lands.
Established in 1806 as part of the La Reconnaissance Estate, the Lopinot House was perhaps built to accommodate the Estate Manager. This manager would have been responsible for the distribution of wages among other things on the cocoa and coffee estates. Neither the Compte de Lopinot (original owner of the estate) or the overseer would have lived in the Lopinot House, as photographic evidence supports that these buildings were depicted elsewhere on the site. The Lopinot house was later occupied by an assigned state land officer after the Trinidad Government acquired the property in 1943.
The house is a medium sized cottage, made of timber, whose shape and massing is typical of the plantation style country house. A large gabled roof covers the main portion of the building from East to West with casement windows at each gable end. The main entrance is covered by a porte-cochére also ending with a gable end window.
Other Known Name: Lopinot Estate
Address: Lopinot Historical Complex
Region: Tunapuna – Piarco
Site Type: Cultural Heritage
Public Accessibility: Limited Access
Listing Status: Stage 7 – Notice of Intention has been published in the Trinidad and Tobago Gazette, the owners have been informed and the intention to list has been published in at least three issues of a daily newspaper
Grade: Grade 2 – Property in which material change may be permitted, provided that similarity is maintained in all respects as it origined composition, shape and form.
Cultural Community: French
Site Features: Cocoa Estates, Residences & Great Houses
Lopinot Historical Complex, Arouca, Tunapuna – Piarco