Fort George

 In

This site is on the Heritage Asset Inventory which is the official list of Trinidad and Tobago’s historic sites that are worthy of notation and preservation. The register is authorized by the National Trust of Trinidad and Tobago’s Council and is by no means exhaustive. The sites on the Heritage Asset Register are not owned by the National Trust of Trinidad and Tobago. The Trust welcomes any historical information and oral histories the public wishes to share with us concerning this site via the feedback form.

Formerly called La Vigie, Fort George was part of a complex of fortifications, the building of which began in 1804 under the direction of the then British Governor, Brigadier-General Sir Thomas Hislop. The fortifications consisted of sea defences and a series of supporting batteries: the York, Princess Charlotte, Abercromby and Cambridge on the lower slopes and the Cumberland to the north above the Fort. Considered impregnable, it was the major defensive position in the island, but never to experience military action. In times of rumours of the war, merchants of Port of Spain would store their records and valuables at the fort. Fort George ceased to be a military establishment in 1846. A signal station was established there and continued operation until November 1964.

This signal station, built about 1883, was designed by Prince Kofi Nti, son of King Kofi Calcali of Ashantee, West Africa. He arrived in Trinidad on 1 July 1881, having become a ward of the British government after a war against the Ashantees in 1872. A major restoration of the building took place in 1965, three years after Trinidad gained its independence.

Address: Fort George Road

Town/City: St James

Region: Diego Martin

Site Type: Cultural Heritage

Ownership: Public

Public Accessibility: Full Access

Cultural Community: British

Site Features: Forts, Batteries & Cannons

  • fort george by Melony Mejias

    fort george by Melony Mejias

  • Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James1

    Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James1

  • Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James3

    Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James3

  • Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James12

    Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James12

  • Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James14

    Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James14

  • Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James25

    Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James25

  • Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James26

    Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James26

  • Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James27

    Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James27

  • Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James28

    Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James28

  • Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James29

    Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James29

  • Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James31

    Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James31

  • Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James36

    Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James36

  • Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James37

    Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James37

  • Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James43

    Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James43

  • Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James46

    Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James46

  • Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James53

    Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James53

  • Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James88

    Fort_George_Satis_Phillip_St James88

  • look out from the fort king george by melony mejias

    look out from the fort king george by melony mejias

Address:

Fort George Road, St James, Diego Martin