The Carnegie Library was founded in 1916 and named after a Scottish born American philanthropist Anthony Carnegie who donated £2,500 to establish the library. E.R Gammon of Public Works was the architect for the library similar in many respects to the Royal Victoria Institutes in some of its neo-classical elements. The building was completed in 1919.
Library Corner has traditionally been the Hyde Park, or perhaps more appropriately, the Woodford Square of San Fernando as a meeting place and a venue for free speech. The library’s collections include books for children, West Indian material, hard cover and paperback novels, non-fiction and reference books, up to dater periodicals, large print books, picture books, Christmas selections and a student pool which includes past examination papers and also carry the daily newspapers.
The library now offers free Internet access to the general public at the library. At present the library houses a separate Adult Lending section on the ground floor. A special reading room for adults to peruse the latest periodicals that has been created, as well as a separate Young Adult and paperback corner. Lending services are now being computerized. There are also plans for expansion of the Juvenile Department and plans to expand the Harris Promenade Site westwards towards the Promenade.
Property of interest located on a parcel of land situated in the City of San Fernando comprising 8,826 square feet and bounded on the north by Harris Promenade, on the south by a street known as Library Street and on the east and west by Harris Promenade.
Address: Harris Promenade
Town/City: San Fernando
Region: San Fernando
Site Type: Cultural Heritage
Public Accessibility: Limited Access
Cultural Community: North American
Site Features: Public Buildings
Harris Promenade, San Fernando