26 Queen’s Park West is better known as “The Gingerbread House”or the residence of the Boissière family. The house was designed and built in 1904 by the architect Edward Bowen, a personal friend of the owner, C.E.H Boissière. The ceilings in the sitting and dining rooms are of gesso work, executed by the same Italian craftsman who did the ceilings for Killarney and the council of the Chamber of the Red House. The stained-glass windows, with their meandering strawberry vines in the little study with its pagoda roof, filter the morning sun and cast a soft light into the room. The floor tiles of the study and veranda were imported from England and the large single slab marble steps to the entrance were imported from Italy. The house is one of the most photographed in Port of Spain.
Property of interest located on a parcel of land situated in the City of Port of Spain, bounded on the north by No. 13, Queen’s Park West (All Saints’ Anglican Church), on the south by No. 11, Queen’s Park West, on the east by Queen’s Park West and on the west by Nos. 92-94, Woodford Street.
Other Known Name: Gingerbread House
Address: 12 Queen’s Park West
Town/City: Port of Spain
Region: Port of Spain
Site Type: Cultural Heritage
Public Accessibility: Restricted Access
Listing Status: Stage 8 – List published in the Gazette and Heritage Site listed on Index of Listings at the Registrar General. Listing Completed & Heritage Site Protected Under the Act
Grade: Grade 2 – Property in which material change may be permitted, provided that similarity is maintained in all respects as it origined composition, shape and form.
Cultural Community: French
Site Features: Residences & Great Houses
12 Queen’s Park West, Port of Spain