President’s House

In

This site is on the Heritage Asset Register which is the official list of Trinidad and Tobago’s historic sites that are worthy of notation and preservation. The register is authorized by the National Trust of Trinidad and Tobago’s Council and is by no means exhaustive. The sites on the Heritage Asset Register are not owned by the National Trust of Trinidad and Tobago. The Trust welcomes any historical information and oral histories the public wishes to share with us concerning this site via the feedback form.

The President’s house in Tobago, as it is now called, is located at Mount William. Formerly the Governor’s house, the site was named after the first occupant, Sir William Young, who arrived in Tobago in 1807. The building as it is today of brick and stone, replaced the first wooden structure and was completed in 1828.

The Governors of Tobago resided there until 1899 when Tobago became part of the Crown Colony of Trinidad and Tobago. Subsequently, it became the residence of the Governors who resided in Trinidad when they visited Tobago. Buried in the grounds of the house are the three children of Governor Sir Frederick Robinson who succumbed to the yellow fever epidemic of 1819 and 1820.

At the time of the West Indies Federation, the Governor’s House was occupied by Sir Edward Beetham, as the Government House in Trinidad had been converted to a museum and art gallery. With Trinidad and Tobago’s Independence in 1962, Government House in Tobago was named the Governor-General House and on Trinidad and Tobago becoming a Republic the building became known as the President’s house.

Edward Hernandez

Other Known Name: The Governor’s House

Address: Government House Road, Calder Hall

Town/City: Scarborough

Region: Tobago

Site Type: Cultural Heritage

Ownership:

Public Accessibility:

Listing Status: Stage 4 – Preparation of Dossier for Heritage Site

Cultural Community:

Site Features: Residences & Great Houses

Address:

Government House Road, Scarborough, Calder Hall, Tobago